Sweet Potato & Kidney Bean Burrito
30 min, 11 ingredients, serves 1
For the mash:
- 400g can kidney beans
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small red chilli pepper, diced (or ½ tsp chilli powder or to taste)
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce (or tamari)
For the rest:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 small red pepper
- 5 – 6 stems of tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli
- 20g cheddar or vegan equivalent, grated
Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
If skin is in good condition scrub sweet potato, otherwise peel, and slice into wedges.
Roast sweet potato on a baking sheet in the oven for 15 – 25 mins (depending on your oven) until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, slice pepper and broccoli into 1 inch slices. Stir fry in shallow frying pan in a little water for 3 -4 mins until tender.
Prepare kidney bean mash.
For mash: Gently fry onion and garlic in a little oil for 2 -3 minutes until softened. Drain and rinse kidney beans and add them to the pan with the mustard, cumin, chilli and soy. Stir for another 2 minutes to warm through then turn off the heat and mash everything together using a potato masher. You are looking for a coarse rather than a smooth consistency of mash.
When the sweet potato is almost ready gently reheat the vegetables and the mash. When warming the mash through if it is looking dry or it is sticking then gradually stir in a little hot water.
Layer up cheese, mash, sweet potato and vegetables to serve. If you are filling burritos then spread the mash on to the burrito first before adding the rest of the filling and rolling.
- The kidney bean mash will keep in the fridge for a couple of days and works as a dip or toast topper.
- Kidney beans not your thing? This would work with black beans too.
- Squash season? You could replace the sweet potato with slices of your favourite squash (roasted of course).
- Trying this with children? You could skip the chilli if they are not a fan of spice.
- If you are vegan/dairy free you can definitely just miss out the cheese on this one but feel free to replace with vegan cheddar or nutritional yeast flakes.